Long Runs Out & About

As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm going to try to find fun places to do my long runs in preparation for the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. These runs are on Saturdays and Sundays in August and September. Here's the schedule:
Sunday, Jul 26 - 6m
Sunday, Aug 9 - 7m
Sunday, Aug 16 - 8m
Sunday, Aug 30 - 9m
Sunday, Sep 6 - 10m
Sunday, Sep 13 - 15k(?)
Sunday, Sep 20 - 11m
Sunday, Sep 27 - 12m
This is following the prescribed mileage from the Hal Higdon halfie plan, as described in greater detail here.

Anyone interested in joining me? Do you have any locations to suggest?

I'm in San Francisco, and there's TONS of fantastic places in the vicinity to run. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of Sonoma, Napa, the Marin headlands, but I'm sure there are a lot of great places to run. @smellycents suggested hooking up for a run down the peninsula in Woodside then a trip to Buck's, which sounds like a really good time.

Here's a couple thoughts that may be helpful:
  • I'm pretty darn slow (this site is called "Slow Mofo" after all.) I'll probably be doing 10:30-ish miles.
  • I'd be willing to drive a few hours to get to a running location. I don't think I'd want to sit in a car for 5 hours, but I'm definitely flexible.
  • Since the moderate heat/sunshine of the last SJ RnR Half crushed my soul last time, I'm looking do at least some of the runs in warmer weather. "Warmer" meaning "75 or so"—not some 100 degree broil-fest. I did all my runs last year in the cool SF evenings, and paid dearly for this on race day.
  • I'm not really looking to do some hellacious, technical trail run. I'm also not really looking to take some super Dipsea-style hill trouncing.
  • If at all possible, I'd prefer to avoid doing miles and miles on concrete.
  • (I'm beginning to sound really high-maintenance, aren't I?)
  • There's a very good chance I'll run with headphones on. Partly because I love running to music, but also partly because I use the Nike+ to track my runs. This doesn't mean I'll be some weirdo, silent, anti-social guy; I don't blast my stuff (it's bad for your ears you know) and I'm normally a chatty cathy. But I've never really gotten into talking *a lot* when I run. I mostly breath and keep going (is that weird?). So, I'll be plenty social, but I'll probably be plenty social with headphones on. Take no offense. Hell, I'll even hook you up with some custom running music, if you're so inclined.
What do you think?

If have route suggestions, or you're interested in coming along, leave a comment (don't leave your email tho—spambots will snatch it up) or Tweet me and we'll work it out. Thanks!

Photo courtesy acaben on Flickr.

0 Brilliant Remarks: