I Think I'm Splinty

After digging around online here, here and here, I've come to the conclusion that I've developed shin splints. Well, Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, if you want to get picky.

In sticking with the plan I've upped my miles quite a bit, which I'm sure is a contributor. Really, I think there's many factors here:
  • Increased mileage
  • Primarily running on concrete
  • My clydesdale status
  • The hills of San Francisco (I've had my legs get tweaky just walking around here; starting to incorporate hill repeats have undoubtedly been stressful for the pegs)

What to Do?

I really, really, really don't want to stop training. Hopefully I won't have to.

I've flagged some videos as favorites on YouTube which offer some recovery suggestions that'll hopefully help. Since I've made a list of probably causes, I guess I'll make a list of solutions:
  • Religiously using the R.I.C.E. method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)
  • Doing every run I can at Kezar track and avoiding concrete like the Plague
  • Massaging the soleus muscle (as shown in some of the vids)
  • Doing strengthening exercises (again, see vids)
  • Stretching like a monkeyplucker
  • Keeping my eye on it. The last thing I want is a lasting injury, and if it gets worse then I'll have to hang up the Asics for a bit and swim or bike.
I take some solace in knowing that this is a profoundly common problem, but still, getting shin splints makes me feel like a rookie jackanus.

Oh well. You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have [finish this sentence].

0 Brilliant Remarks: